PERIOD: 17 February - 06 March 2019
PLACE: Ivrea, Italy
History, tradition, culture, show. This, and much more, represents the Historical Carnival Ivrea. It is one of the most fascinating events in Italy. A party in which history, myth and legend come together. Today, the Historical Carnival Ivrea has obtained the recognition of an Italian event of international importance.
The event is held every year in the Piedmontese town and attracts an increasing number of tourists and curious. All attracted by the spectacular historical re-enactment and the characters that crowd the streets of the city.
During the three days of the event, along the streets of Ivrea, it is possible to attend the traditional historical parade; folk groups, allegorical floats, musical bands, from all over Europe, and all the characters of the carnival tradition of Ivrea, parade through the streets of the city. The Mugnaia is the symbolic character of this carnival. Next to bridesmaids and pages, she parades on a golden chariot, wearing a long white wool dress; from here, candy and twigs of mimosa are thrown to passersby. The main characters, as mentioned, parade during the parade.
The General with the Horse Officers who make up the Napoleonic Staff; the Vivandiere; the Grand Chancellor Substitute; the Magnificent Podestà, that is, he who is the guarantor of city liberty; the very young Abba, holding a small saber on which an orange is impaled, symbol of the severed head of the tyrant.
The Historical Carnival Ivrea is a moment of joy, celebration and sharing. And, inevitable, music is one of the fundamental elements. At the band of pipes and drums, the task of animating the party, with their instruments. Pipes, drums and drums, rhythm sounds and music from the seventeenth-nineteenth century. The band also performs "La Canzone del Carnevale"; it is the official anthem of the party that celebrates the popular revolt against the tyrant. The event, however, of greater appeal, inextricably linked to the Historic Carnival Ivrea, is the Battle of oranges. An incredible evocative event that is absolutely unmissable. A show of sounds, lights and colors.
HOW TO GET
Ivrea is located in Piedmont, in northern Italy, about 200 kilometers from Geneva in Switzerland, and 350 from Lyon, in France. Turin-Caselle Airport, the closest to Ivrea, is just over 50 kilometers. Ideally, it would be to hire a car. Anyone wishing to use the means must arrive by bus at the Torino Porta Susa railway station; from here, the regional train allows you to reach Ivrea in about an hour.
Less accessible, in spite of the not excessive distance, the nearby Milan-Linate and Milan-Malpensa airports. Advisable in the case of car hire. Otherwise, with the means, the journey times are over 3 hours due to the numerous changes.
Times are changing and even the small Piedmontese town, this year, pays special attention to the issue of security. for this reason, the maximum number of people that can circulate in the city, during the Historical Carnival Ivrea 2019, will be 30 thousand people, in addition to residents.
There will be counting people and numerous checks at the access gates
Here is the list of the main activities and programs of the Historical Carnival Ivrea 2018, found on the official website:
- Sunday 17 / 02: Beans of Bellavista and San Giovanni. Passage of the Book of Minutes from the Grand Chancellor to the Substitute. Prize du Drapeau. Alzata degli Abbà. Parade of the Historical Procession.
- Sunday 24 / 02: Beans of Montenavale, Cuj dij Vigne, Torre Balfredo and Saints Peter and Donato. Presentation of the chariots and parade in the streets of the center. Alzata degli Abbà. Parade of the parade.
- Thursday 28 / 02: Celebrations of the Fat Thursday with the transfer of civil powers from the Mayor of Ivrea to the General and Calzata del Berretto Frigio. Parade of the Historical Procession. Children's day in piazza Ottinetti. Bean Cuj d'via.
- Saturday 02 / 03: Presentation of the Mugnaia Escort of Honor. Presentation of Vezzosa Mugnaia from the loggia of the Town Hall. March of the Historical Procession. Candidly torchlight procession and parade of the orange-throwing teams on foot in Lungo Dora and the orange-thrower parties in the city squares.
- Sunday 03 / 03: Fagiolate del Castellazzo, San Lorenzo, via Dora Baltea and San Bernardo. Ceremony of the prey in Dora. Framing of the jet wagons in progress Massimo d'Azeglio and the start of the first of the three days of Battaglia. Historical parade. Fireworks show on the Lungo Dora. Gala evening.
- Monday 04 / 03: Zappate degli Scarli As plant 'lpich to the use antic. Framing of the jet wagons in progress Massimo d'Azeglio and beginning of the second day of the Battle. Historical parade.
- Tuesday 05 / 03: Framing of the jet wagons in progress Massimo d'Azeglio and beginning of the third day of the Battle. Historical parade. Prize giving of the Chariots and the walking teams. Embracing Scarli in the various districts and burning in the presence of the Mugnaia.
WHERE TO SLEEP
The Historical Carnival Ivrea is one of the most popular events in the city. Finding an accommodation in the center, considering the offer, is an almost impossible undertaking. Especially close to the event.
Even small localities such as Banchette or Pavone Canavese could easily be sold-out. Whoever wants, can search from here.
Given the approximately 50 kilometers away, our advice is to find a structure in Turin. Here, you will have ample choice and availability. Ideal solution especially in case you were self-driving. From this link, the accommodations for Turin, at the best price!